Spicy Butternut Squash Black Bean Curry | Dairy-Free, Vegan
I’m definitely not an expert when it comes to curry dishes but I love to experiment and try different combinations.
I love a curry that’s not overpowering, it’s mildly spicy with different vegetables and somewhat creamy.
This vegan curry is of course a fall curry! The main ingredient is a fall favorite vegetable, butternut squash. It’s slightly sweet from the squash, creamy from the coconut milk and black beans and with a kick of spice from the jalapeños and spices!
You can have this warming and comforting curry with some jasmine rice or on its own and serve it with some lime juice and cilantro.
If you want your curry to be richer you can add full fat coconut milk. I like my curry to be a little lighter so I used light coconut milk. Also if you would like the curry flavor to be more intense you can add more curry powder. I recommend to start with a smaller amount and build up the flavor according to your linking.
I did not have fresh jalapeños so I used pickled ones and also I used ginger powder instead for fresh ginger but of course fresh will work great too.
This easy, vegan curry is slowly simmered to perfection but will only take you 30 minutes to make so it’s a great dinner for a busy evening especially now that it’s starting to get colder!
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 butternut squash (3 cups), finely diced
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- a few jalepeno slices
- 2/3 can lite coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (mix hot water with half cube vegetable stock)
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar (optional)
- cilantro, cashews, lime for serving
- In a pot, heat up the coconut oil, add onion and garlic and sauté for a minute or two until softened (you don’t want the garlic to burn so keep stirring)
- Add the butternut squash and a few splashes water and saute for 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add your spices and sautee until fragrant.
- Add your black beans, coconut milk, vegetable broth and sugar (if using) and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes white occasionally stirring.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with some lime and cilantro or crushed cashews over rice or on its own.