Perfect Lentil Lasagna Soup | Easy, One-pot
It’s officially soup season! It’s getting colder outside so we’re increasingly craving warm, comfort foods! Soups are a great way to warm up and boost our immunity and this lentil lasagna soup will do just that.
And because no plant based food blog would be complete without a lentil soup recipe, I’m sharing with you one of my favorite lentil soups! Lentils are full of fiber and probiotics so they make a great food for your gut. They’re easy to cook, they don’t need to be soaked for many hours like other beans and taste amazing however you cook them.
This vegan one-pot lentil soup combines lots of veggies, different aromatic spices and lasagna pieces! It’s hearty, it’s thick, with different layers of flavors, rich tomato and some slight cheesiness from the nutritional yeast!
The whole process from prepping to serving will take you less than an hour and you can definitely cook this in your instant pot if you’re pressed for time. You can add more water/broth if you want a more soupy consistency and you can refrigerate and enjoy it within 4 days.
This recipe will yield about 4 servings.
- 1 1/3 cups green lentils
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1/4 zucchini, diced (optional)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/3 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups water (and a little more if needed)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2,3 lasagna sheets
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- In a large pot heat your olive oil, then add onion and garlic and sauté for two minutes while stirring to make sure they don’t burn.
- Add your carrot, celery, spices (besides cumin, old spice and bay leaves) and one or two splashes of water and let sauté for 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add your lentils, water, vegetable stock and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile break your lasagna noodles in pieces.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, cumin, allspice and zucchini and bring to a boil (you want the lentils to be covered by water by 1/2 an inch or so, so add a little more water if needed). Reduce heat on medium low and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- 5 minutes before you turn the heat off, add your lasagna pieces and nutritional yeast and allow to cook. You want them al dente so a few minutes will suffice.
- Remove your soup from heat, let stand about 5-10 minutes to thicken more. Serve with some fresh herbs or vegan sour cream or cheese.