Broccoli & Mushroom Brown Rice Casserole | Vegan, Oil-free
Whether you’re looking for an easy and delicious dinner, or to meal prep for the days ahead, this recipe will definitely please you. This is a perfect example on how to use simple foods you already have lying around in your fridge and pantry in a creative way and make a nutritious and comforting meal.
You will love this casserole because even though it’s made with super simple ingredients it’s full of flavor. You will need just about quarter of a broccoli crown chopped in small pieces, some chopped portobello mushrooms and some brown rice. Also some onion and garlic for extra flavor and then the secret lies in the broth.
I prepared a simple broth by heating up water, my favorite vegetable bouillon and some simple spices. I also added some nutritional yeast for some slight cheesy flavor. You don’t have to cook any of your ingredients separately besides your broth. After you bring your broth to a slow simmer you simply pour it on top on your other ingredients and your casserole is ready for bake. In forty minutes you will have the fluffiest brown rice you have ever had with all juices from the broth and mushrooms blending awesomely together.
That’s how easy this recipe is, and I can’t think of a better dinner to enjoy on a busy weeknight. This casserole is rich, is warming, slightly spicy and nutty and of course it’s vegan, dairy-free and completely oil-free!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I will definitely be making it again!
Broccoli & Mushroom Brown Rice Casserole| Vegan, Oil-free
An easy and flavorful brown rice casserole with broccoli and mushrooms!
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice, soaked and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli florets and broccoli stems, chopped
- 1/2 cup portobello mushrooms of your choice, roughly chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed pepper
- Preheat your oven at 400 degrees.
- In a casserole dish add your vegetables, garlic and rice and mix.
- In a small saucepan add your water, nutritional yeast, spices and bouillon and bring to a slow simmer.
- Pour your liquid over the rice and vegetables and give a everything a gentle mix. Make sure your rice is covered with water.
- Cover your casserole dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30-40 minutes until the rice absorbs all the liquid and becomes fluffy.
- Remove from the oven, uncover and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- You can refrigerate any left overs up to 4 days.
- If you want your dish a bit spicier you could add more crushed pepper.
- If you want a more cheesy flavor add more nutritional yeast.