Easy Potato & Cauliflower Au Gratin | Vegan, Gluten-free
Hello and happy new year everybody! I hope your holiday was amazing and had lots of yummy vegan food!
I hadn’t had much time to cook these past couple of weeks but I had a cauliflower in my refrigerator that needed to be cooked immediately! So I remembered a recipe my mom used to make a lot and thought how about making it with a vegan twist!
Potato and cauliflower au gratin was a dish I had quite often while growing up and of course we loved it since it was so cheesy!
Making it vegan was actually not hard at all and it came out so good that I had to share!
This recipe is quite simple. You simply thinly slice your potatoes and cauliflower and boil them for a bit so they become slightly tender (not overbooked). It’s alright for your cauliflower to break apart a bit. You lay everything in a casserole dish in layers. First potatoes, then cauliflower and repeat.
Then comes the cheesy sauce! That’s actually pretty simple to make. You will need some soft or silken tofu, some nutritional yeast, a bit of vegetable bouillon, onion, garlic cloves and a mix of spices for flavor. Also you need some type of starch to help thicken your sauce. I used potato starch. You simply blend all the ingredients until you have a creamy sauce and heat up in a pan while stirring to thicken.
Once your sauce is ready, you will pour your sauce over your veggies and top of with some vegan cheese and then bake to perfection for 40-45 minutes!
So easy! And you have no idea how good it tastes! This au gratin is a dream! It’s rich, creamy, cheesy, savory and so comforting!
And of course it’s vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free and almost oil-free! Please give it a try!
Easy Potato & Cauliflower Au Gratin | Vegan & Gluten-free
An easy vegan cauliflower and potato au gratin that's creamy, savory and cheesy!
- 1 large potato, peeled and thinly sliced (as pictured)
- 1 medium size cauliflower
- 1/2 a small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 a small onion
- 1/3 of silken tofu
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp potato starch
- a bit of olive oil
- black pepper
- 1 tsp dry chives
for the cheesy sauce:
1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese (I used vivo life Colby jack shreds)
- Preheat your oven at 375 degrees. Wash your cauliflower, remove stems and leaves and cut it in about 1/2 inch slices. It’s ok if some of your slices break apart.
- In a medium size saucepan add 3 cups water and some salt and bring to a boil. Add your potatoes and boil for about 3 minutes until your can easily poke them with a fork. Remove the potato slices and put them to the side.
- In the same saucepan add your cauliflower slices and let them steam with the lid on for about 4 minutes until slightly softened. You don’t want them to get too soft. Remove the cauliflower when ready and put to the side.
- In a casserole dish add a little olive oil (about 2 tsp) to cover the bottom. Add a few potato slices to cover the bottom, then add a few cauliflower slices and half of your chopped onion and top with some dry chives and black pepper. Repeat the same process again.
- Prepare your sauce by adding all your sauce ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour your sauce in a saucepan and heat on medium high heat while stirring. Once your sauce starts to get thicker, reduce heat to low and stir for another minute. If your sauce is starting to get a little too thick just add a tablespoon of water.
- Pour your cheesy sauce on top of your stacked potato and cauliflower and make sure it’s evenly distributed. Top with some vegan cheese and ground black pepper and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes (depending on how strong your oven is). Remove from the oven, let stand for 10-15 minutes, then cut and serve!
- You can refrigerate any leftovers for up to three days.